Re: orchestra players in marching band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom on January 30, 2002 at 09:25:18:

In Reply to: orchestra players in marching band posted by Tom on January 29, 2002 at 14:53:54:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that during marching season orchestra rehearsals continue. In this particular school, concert band practice is marching band practice. On the other hand, the orchestra students have three extra early morning practices forced on them. I don't see the fairness.

Several of you have talked about colleges requiring everyone to march. I see no problem there. Generally, you choose you college. If you don't want to march you can go somewhere else. However, in highschool where you attend is governed by where your house is.

There are six public highschools in my area. Only one has the orchestra - marching requirement. Your parents can live anywhere in the metro area except this one part of town and not be a marching double bassist. Equitable?

And what ever happened to the concept of school being about the students? This idea of maintaining a giant marching band by making violinists (or any other orchestra player) carry flags or pompoms or rifles sounds like the students are there for the school.

Follow Ups: