Re: Re: orchestra players in marching band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A Marching Band Director on January 30, 2002 at 00:17:27:

In Reply to: Re: orchestra players in marching band posted by Leland on January 29, 2002 at 23:16:34:

While many of my collegues certainly do run bands that are contrary to the values of music education, I really do believe it is neither accurate nor appropriate to generize the entire marching band activity as unmusical or not worthwhile.

Admittedly, we are usually performing for a crowd of people who really are attending a football game, not a concert. As a band director, I still believe that the marching band can provide the students a worthwile experience and, even at a football game, bring some quality music to the masses. In high school, I had never been exposed to the music of Stravinsky, Gershwin, or Thelonius Monk until we played arrangements in marching band. As mediocre as our musicianship may have been or how terrible the arrangements were, I was still exposed to music that would change my life.

I still practice my tuba several hours a day and am working on a PhD in education, yet I am in no way embarrased to say that I pay my bills by teaching a college marching band.

I agree that it is unfortunate that some people are forced to do marching band. A significant amount of research has shown that the most successful marching bands are extra-curricular activities. In small schools it may be difficult to run the band outside of the school day. However, these smaller programs can have a quality marching program and provide an aesthetic education by strssing musicality and drill appropriate to the music being performed. The key is to be sure that marching does not overshadow the goals of making great music.

Sorry for the long post. I get very offended when my livelyhood is categorically dismissed.

Doug Whitten

Follow Ups: