Re: orchestra players in marching band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob P-M on January 29, 2002 at 16:56:27:

In Reply to: orchestra players in marching band posted by Tom on January 29, 2002 at 14:53:54:

This is not an atypical attitude to get bodies out on the field. On the other hand, some schools (UC Santa Barbara back in the '70s) forbid music majors to participate in the marching band. Go figure.

In my experience, with woodwinds and high brass at least, the better players really dislike marching band because of its negative effect on musicianship, chops, wooden instruments, etc.

I know two top level professional trumpet players who played football in high school in order to avoid marching band! And their teachers approved!

In my daughters' suburban NY area high school, the top flute and clarinet players make a point of enrolling at Julliard or Manhattan School of Music prep divisions which meet on saturday, getting them out of marching band without penalty. Some local high schools are so into marching that kids can't do Julliard or Manhattan because it would take them out of marching band and their band directors won't permit them to participate in concert band unless they march!

Follow Ups: