Re: Priority and Practicality: F or CC?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on January 28, 2002 at 23:01:25:

In Reply to: Priority and Practicality: F or CC? posted by Anthony Labelle on January 28, 2002 at 21:57:34:

For some reason, many people think that (used) B&S F tubas with "Perantucci" stamped on them are worth about $5000 whereas the ones that have "Symphonie" stamped on them are only worth about $3000.

I really think B&S makes nice F tubas. I have one that I've barely begun to wear out and a second one (actually much older, but barely played) which I purchased in order to renew the other one).

The "Symphonie" version has five bore sizes through the rotors and an acoustically-matched mouthpipe.

The "Perantucci" version skips one of the bore sizes, and has a fatter mouthpipe that doesn't focus as nicely. Nor does it "assist" the range just below the staff (which I believe was the original hope/intent of the "Perantucci" version).

Here is one example of a place (assuming you would settle for "used") that less money might purchase more tuba...

...Of course, I'm an opinionated bastard, but I am offering my personal view of good advice.

Follow Ups: