Re: How did you get your start?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg Crider on January 28, 2002 at 19:56:38:

In Reply to: How did you get your start? posted by Doug on January 26, 2002 at 21:36:41:

There was no beginning band program at my elementary school until the year I entered the 9th grade, so I had no opportunity to join. I'd had years of recurring ear infections and damage, and my parents confused hearing loss with tone deafness, so they wouldn't let my try the last shot at beginning band my 9th grade year. However, almost all of my friends in high school were in the band, and the director, and old Marine buddy of my father's, let me get into an existing junior band class ten weeks before the end of school with the understanding that I would have to play bass horn. I thought he said French horn, so I said o.k. After my first look at the green lacquered abomination (courtesy of an unfortunate encounter with Brasso a couple of years before) that I was to play, I almost backed out. I'm glad that I didn't, because I credit band and music with saving my high school years and sanity for me, and providing one of my majors in college and my favorite lifelong hobby.

Follow Ups: