Re: Looking for my stolen tuba in DC area...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob Daniel on January 28, 2002 at 10:38:10:

In Reply to: Looking for my stolen tuba in DC area... posted by Leland Jordon on January 27, 2002 at 21:28:54:

I know exactly how you feel. I had a tuba stolen out of my car at Catholic University in NorthEast Washington DC in the late 70's. As Doug and others have said, the serial number will be important to recovering the horn. If the tuba is pawned it will show up as being "hot" and the police will pick it up. My tuba showed in a pawn shop about 10 days after it was taken. I had insurance on the tuba (a Rudy CC 3/4 5v) I had already bought another tuba from Custom. As a result, the insurance company now owned the tuba. I called them and asked if I could buy the tuba back. They never called me back and they ended up selling it to Washington Music who in turn sold it to a high school in Maryland. I few years later I was out at Catholic and this high school student (can't remember his name) was now at Catholic U. My heart skipped a beat when I saw my old tuba. It was in good hands, but I would have loved to have had it back. Fortunately, in the '70s the Rudy 3/4s were consistently similar so I was able to get another fine tuba. Nevertheless, it is a tramatic event. Hopefully, your tuba will show up soon. By the way, my tuba was worth $3,000 at the time and was pawned for $43.

Follow Ups: