Re: Re: Howcum?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 24, 2002 at 08:45:00:

In Reply to: Re: Howcum? posted by Klaus on January 24, 2002 at 00:32:18:

Interesting theory. I also have some first hand experience with this issue. When I had my RM-10 overhauled a number of years ago, the repairman explained to me that after taking the dents out of the bottom bow, he was unwilling to try and get the bottom bow cap to fit back on the dentless bow. He explained that the process would be difficult, expensive, and maybe wouldn't yield satisfactory results. He suggested leaving it off and putting a strip of 5/8" half round hollow stock in its place, right down the center of the bow. I had never encountered this situation before and I didn't know what to think as far as how the horn would be changed without the bottom bow cap. The repairman explained to me that the caps were on the horn almost exclusively for visual appearance and that, if anything, the horn might play a little better without them because the response might improve a bit. He told me that I'd have to be more careful with the horn in the future because the dents would happen easier but that the playing of the tuba should be nearly identical.

His projection was spot on. The horn plays so similarly without the caps that I couldn't discern any difference. The effect wasn't offensive visually though many folks now have to look twice at my horn to figure out exactly what it is. After this experience, I came to the conclusion that the caps were there to protect the bows from damage, not necessarily for acoustical reasons. Of course, I'm sure that differs from manufacturer to manufacturer because they all do things just a little differently from each other. I do know of the positive effects of damping materials installed on a horn from another of my instruments. Knowing that makes me realize that what you say might be true. I think it would depend on the specific tuba as to whether or not these caps had any acoustical effect. They wouldn't just automatically be a part of the equation.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: