Re: Rudy Meinl CCC Piston

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on January 23, 2002 at 12:09:34:

In Reply to: Rudy Meinl CCC Piston posted by Billy M. on January 21, 2002 at 12:29:33:

Billy,
When I was stationed in Germany during the mid- to latter 1980's, I took every opportunity to visit the Rudolf Meinl factory, and play every horn I possibly could. During this time, Mr. Tucci had brought them a ~1923 Conn 4-piston CC, which they made literal copies of. A few of these were made and sold through Mr. Tucci's company as Rudolf Meinl Perantucci model CC tubas. Except for the bell label, and slight differences in the top- and bottom caps and finger buttons, they looked exactly like the old Conn. They were exquisite-playing CC tubas with a tone like nothing built today. They did not have a particularly large sound for a Rudolf Meinl, but were a very refined-feeling horn. Herr Meinl made and offered a second main tuning slide that had a 5th rotor in it, and a removable thumb valve linkage. A few months later, Rudolf Meinl Jr. showed me a prototype of their own 4/4 piston CC, based upon the basic layout of the Conn. It looked more European, sort-of the forerunner of a lot of horns built today. I had to come back to the States and missed a lot of the development of this instrument. But, I have worked on, and played David Zerkel's R-M piston CC, and that is one fine instrument. I can't think of a modern piston valve CC that I'd rather play. Rudolf Meinl sound, sound intonation, dependable response, it has it all.
-Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: