I need some help (sorry, kinda long)...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on January 23, 2002 at 02:00:02:

I'm hoping folks in this talent/resource/information-laden forum might be able to share some wisdom... and maybe help all of us in the process...

For years, my favorite part of Tuba Christmas here in Los Angeles has been the "12-tet" of studio pros (six tubas/six euphoniums) who sit out in front of the mass choir and share special "juiced up" arrangements of Christmas carols. I have long dreamt of capturing this performance in what might be rightly termed a "reference Tuba Christmas experience" - a Christmas CD featuring these world-class performers.

After hearing the 12-tet again this past season, I just couldn't take it anymore. I approached Jim Self, my former teacher and organizer of Tuba Christmas here in L.A., with the idea, and he expressed having shared a similar dream for many years. However, between his busy schedule and the challenges associated with funding a "labor of love" - read: you'd be lucky to break even - it's been relegated to the back burner.

What we've discussed thus far is this - a rotating group of 12 players performing a CD's worth of music, and possibly taping some type of live performance/backstory for airing on a PBS-esque network. The participants would be current and former L.A. tuba/euph pros, and with schedules permitting, might hopefully include guys like Gene Pokorny, Roger Bobo, et al. It would be done under the banner of Jim's "Los Tubas" brand, and we might even go so far as to set up a non-profit organization to handle proceeds, award scholarships, sponsor performances/programs, etc.

Putting together a repertoire and a list of players is the relatively easy part, and Jim's ready to do that. The tough part is obviously the money and logistics, and here's where I've thrown my hat into the ring.

--- Cue TubeNET BBS participants ---

What experiences have any of you had securing sponsorship/grant money for the arts? Are there "clearing houses" for funding that tap into a network of sources, or do you have to ferret them out yourself? Corporate sponsorship? Government programs? Funding from the private sector? My feeling is that with some of the "artistic" c-rap that qualifies for funding these days, something possessing true artistic merit *should* be able to qualify as well, wouldn't you agree?

I guess we're reverse-engineering a product here and trying to figure out how to make it all happen. I've got a whole laundry list of ideas concerning packaging, graphics and marketing, but I need to figure out where to start on the funding front. Any thoughts?

If you've gotten this far in the post, a heap of thanx for taking the time. If you'd like to respond privately, please feel free.

...Dave

Follow Ups: