Re: Re: Re: CD production screwup?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on January 21, 2002 at 16:55:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: CD production screwup? posted by Kenneth Sloan on January 20, 2002 at 02:19:16:

One summer I worked in a cassette tape reproduction company (tells you how long ago). My job was in quality control where I was supposed to listen to a small bit of each tape, before the label was printed on them, and make sure that they were what they were supposed to be. As a good industrial engineering student I introduced a sampling plan so that every tape didn't have to be listened to. By doing that it allowed time for me to spot check the finished cassettes before they were shipped. I found a number of tapes where the insert in the box said one thing, the label printed on the tape said another, and the actual music was something else (obviously checked by one of the other inspectors). They also duplicated business training tapes so it was quite possible for those to have been swapped for the right tapes.

CD reproduction is a similar process. The CD is burned and then the label is printed on it, and then it is inserted, along with the booklet into the case. There are a lot of ways for these blank CDs to be mislabeled along the way. This is especially true for low volume CDs where production is done in small batches rather than large scale facilities where it is a more continuous process.

Follow Ups: