Re: Rudy Meinl CCC Piston

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on January 21, 2002 at 13:00:04:

In Reply to: Rudy Meinl CCC Piston posted by Billy M. on January 21, 2002 at 12:29:33:

I picked one of these up at the Brasswind this summer. I quite simply fell in love with the sound of the horn. It can play big and it can play small. Also, the tuning (at least on my particular specimen) is almost spot-on throughout most of the range. My only complaint is that the low end is a little stuffy and takes a bit of getting used to. That being said, if you are one who likes utilizing the false tones, they seem to respond well and in-tune on this tuba.

When I was looking for a tuba to buy (I had been using school-owned horns throughout high school and needed one for college) it came down a choice between the Miraphone 188 and my Rudy. The Miraphone 188 was an incredible horn, technically. It was very in-tune and had the fastest valves I have ever laid my hands on. On top of that, it had noticeably quicker response than any other tuba I tried. However, I don't play as well with rotary valves (I just don't get the sound I get out of pistons), and it had a very plain sound in comparison to the Rudy. Therefore, I bought the Rudy.

I suggest you give it a serious look. As far as what they're modelled after, I believe it is a copy/adaptation of a Conn from the 40's or 50's.

Erik

Follow Ups: