Re: Re: Brookmays Prices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on January 20, 2002 at 11:10:36:

In Reply to: Re: Brookmays Prices posted by Rob P-M on January 20, 2002 at 08:32:57:

Different stores have different customers, and use different strategies to make a living. A reasonable strategy for the informed consumer is to accept this and find the best fit between what they need and what the stores provide. It doesn't help to give loud advice on how the store "ought to" behave. By the same token, store owners are shouting into the wind when they complain about the behavior of their customers - in an efficient market, the stores and customers self-select each other.

A few examples of stores that I have dealt with, and how I deal with them (not all of these are music stores and sometimes different stores in this list are the SAME store showing a different public face - for example, store front vs mail order)

"So Your Kid Takes Band" - this store relies on walk-in trade from parents with no knowledge of music. It has a very visible "Finance Department", where you can get very good interest rates on the instrument that you pay full "Manufacturer's Suggested Lit Price" on. I've found this a convenient place to browse in, and perhaps purchase accessories that I need *right now* when the 100% markup plus tax is less than the overnight shipping fee.

"Support your local band" - this store provides superior service. Their prices are "good, but not great" and their finance deals are at market rates; the "pay as you play" scheme may include a "monthly service charge" to cover the monthly visits by their technician to the school band room. A reasonable way to support your local school band.

"Labor of love" - storefront focussed on love of the game. The kind of store to support by throwing it miscellaneous small purchases and repairs - but not the place for large purchases outside the owner's area of expertise. I know one place that keeps a couple of catalogs under the counter and gives them to customers when "I can order this for you and add 15% - but you can just as easily order it yourself". Drop by regularly to shoot the breeze and see what oddity is on consignment.

"National mail order 1" - advertises widely (perhaps produces a catalog) and makes money on volume, volume, volume. The place to buy when you know exactly what you want, and are looking for the rock bottom lowest price.

"National mail order 2" - look like "National mail order 1", but the prices are somewhat higher. Sometimes the higher prices are justified by better service, or by actually having the items in stock (in the camera market, *never* order from the ad that quotes the absolute LOWEST price!). If nothing else, the competition that keeps prices down in "National mail order 1".

"Confused" - Store front trying to break into the mail order biz. Confused about what their prices are (5 different prices, depending on who you talk to). Can't decide if it's in business to screw the ignorant or work closely with the knowledgable.

"Gold Standard" - establishments which sell based on honest communication and superior service. This is the place to buy, after browsing everywhere else. The place to go first if you need something and don't have time to do the research. The place to direct your friends when they are looking for an instrument for their kid, but don't want to immerse themselves in the culture to make the right choices. It takes a while to find such a place, and convince yourself that it's that kind of place - but once you do everything becomes much easier.

Each type of store has it's place, and attracts the type of customer it deserves.

Follow Ups: