Re: Euph. Concerto

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charlie Huggins on January 17, 2002 at 23:26:56:

In Reply to: Euph. Concerto posted by John on January 17, 2002 at 11:29:59:

Let me first apologize for my initial thoughts upon reading this post. I thought it was a prank post and thought that Linkola was more likely a competetor to the famous 'Ricolla' (spelling?) lozengenes rather than being a real composer. Until this moment in time I had never heard of Linkola so I went to www.towerrecords.com and lo and behold I found a CD with the concerto on it and sound samples so why don't you have a wee listen:

www.towerrecords.com/product.asp?pfid=2302663

It didn't sound half bad (to my utter amazement). It does have that contemporary feel that can be found in the ever repetitive Schwantner music (typical bongo/tam tam/whatever licks that ever permeate and seem to be at the very beginning of whatever piece written by Schwantner). The Linkola (from what little I heard) sounded okay I suppose but I wouldn't bother paying money or making a trip out to the local YMCA or whatever establishment that would put such a show on. The euph. player sounded pretty good too, but given between hearing the Schumann Piano Concerto ,the Brahms Violin Concerto, or this composition, I think I would be better off by forgeting this piece once I post this message and go to sleep or go to the bathroom or something. To each his own I suppose.

Charlie "i guess i don't have the same patience i used to have" Huggins

Follow Ups: