Re: Re: Re: Re: ITEC 2002 Artist Euphonium Competition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Oliver Stone on January 17, 2002 at 10:55:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: ITEC 2002 Artist Euphonium Competition posted by not me on January 17, 2002 at 09:52:41:

I really don't believe that there is an agenda with these competitions to use them as a mechanism to increase enrollment. Nor do I think that the ITEC committees enjoy not awarding prizes. After all, that puts their collective buns on the line for just the type of criticism that Not Me provides.

Unfortunately, sometimes nobody steps up to the plate. There have been tons of orchestral auditions, military band auditions and major competitions on "legit" instruments such as piano and violin where there have been no clear cut winners. We all know that folks that make the finals in some of these situations are perfectly qualified to do what the position requires, it's just that the committee in these cases feel that their standard has not been met.

As for the ITEC 2001 tuba competition goes, it was my understanding that there was a tie for first. I could be all wet, but that was my understanding. Different strengths of the two players led to the deadlock.

As someone who has served on these committees and is serving on one again this time, I can assure you that from my perspective, I want everyone to play like a God and to award a prize at the end to the best of the best. I have also served on a committee where a winner was chosen even though no one clearly met the standard. The door swings both ways!

I would encourage anyone who is inclined to compete in these kinds of competitions or for a playing position to take advantage of every opportunity you have. To paraphrase Ferris Bueller, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't take advantage of the opportunities, you may miss them."

Good Luck!

Follow Ups: