Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dent Eraser

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on January 16, 2002 at 21:05:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dent Eraser posted by Randy Mac Iver on January 16, 2002 at 09:59:10:

Randy, I don't know what your profession is, but if I sold a tool or product that would take you out of the loop, then your point of view might be different.

What I was getting at is very simple. Those who are professionals need good quality tools and should have them. Tubas are not like cabinets. Everyone has a cabinet in the house or apartment and most of us have cars. It only makes sense to know how to do some of the things with your car or around the house, but taking money out of the repairmans pocket is another story entirely.

Where do you stop then with the repair tools and supplies? Should I sell you pads to do your kids clarinet or saxophone? If you're handy you can take it apart and probably put it back together. As to whether it will play or not is another story. I have been in this position when I worked for a store many years ago. I made the mistake of selling pads to a customer. He put the pads on the clarinet, if I remember correctly, and it did not play when he finished. The band director asked where he got the pads (remember now he didn't ask WHO did the work), he said xyz store, made the "assumption" I had done the work and called to ream me out about the quality of work. (He didn't start with me however. He complained to other band directors first and followed that with a complaint to the store owner, who by the way was the one who told me to sell the pads but conveniently forgot that part when the director called.)

I quess you have figured out by now that while I might use the dent removal tool, I would absolutely NEVER sell it nor recommend it to an individual or band director.

Sorry to make it sound as though I'm picking on you. This just my opinion as a store owner/repairman/professional tuba player.

Follow Ups: