Re: 'Ware the hot jam doughnut...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on January 16, 2002 at 17:53:57:

In Reply to: 'Ware the hot jam doughnut... posted by Tim K. on January 16, 2002 at 04:46:09:

Well, aside from the sort of common faux pas of playing in my college band at football games in Boston in late November and leaving the mouthpiece in the horn instead of my pocket and peeling all the skin off my lips, I haven't had any creative injuries.

But my section leader wasn't so lucky. It was sort of standard practice en route to away games to casually drop in and "serenade" at all the ladies' colleges we passed. We had it down pretty well - we'd "pour" a hundred or so mildy inebriated bandsmen off the buses at 2 AM or so at one end of the campus, the buses would drive around to the other end, and we'd block up and go for it.

Usually caused quite a satisfactory commotion, sometimes punctuated by a few arrests of those who were too inebriated to outrun the campus police. One time when we were "making our escape" down a wooded hill in the dark, my buddy ran into a tree at full tilt. Bent the bell of the sousaphone into a "u" and stunned himself and did some very dramatic damage to his face. I think he chipped a couple of teeth as well as chomping through his lip. It was a darn good thing he still had the mouthpiece in the bit when he hit the tree. Fortunately we were within sight of the buses so a couple of us could drag him and the horn the rest of the way down the hill before he got caught so he didn't have the added indignity of having to sober up in a cell waiting for his parents to spring him.

Funny, the things and people one remembers. He was a heck of a good tuba player and a jazz pianist as well. Unfortunately he passed away only a few years after graduation.

Follow Ups: