Professional Musicianship

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Peter J. Felice on January 13, 2002 at 22:51:51:

Let me first apologize if I have said anything offensive or for any rude comments as I have been on edge lately with some slight changes in my life.
However, one interesting dispute I did catch onto was the whole issue on what makes a person a professional musician. I guarentee nine out of then people would say a professional musician is someone who plays or writes music professionally. Gee, that helps a lot. I think this is a common misinterpretation of professional musicianship that should be adjusted. I was never actually taught this, yet discovered it myself, but Music doesn't come from any piece of irregularly shaped metal or from hyroglyphics written on a page. It comes from a much deeper place than those, and can only be found through passion. It seems that too many musicians worry about the mechanics, such as what kind of horn you own. OK, I am a little hypocritical in this sense because I own a Yamaha 642S and a Reunion Blues Gig bag. However, that was before I discovered this and further more, I'm paying $90 a month on the euph, that which I can barely afford.
Alright, before I get into something where most people observe as a "pitty party" I think the point I am trying to get across is that Music has been around since the dawn of time, therefor it doesn't take expensive items, or outstanding History to make a musician. All it really takes is to have the passion for it. I'm sick to my stomache at seeing people who do have the passion for music, but avoid it because of the fear of not being paid enough, or not being able to compete. I'm disgusted to hear people fly by there auditions because they play so fast the judge cannot hear the notes. I'm appauled by those that CALL themselves musicians, who are not.
To tie this into the previous topics, I think it is foolish for people to stay focussed on their own instrument and not learn about others, even if the instrument is the euphonium, a rejected non-orchestral instrument. It was invented for a reason.
Please understand, I am not pinpointing anyone out here and I don't ask for any responses, I just would like everyone to question theirselves, asking, "Am I a professional Musician?" And don't worry, I have been and will continue to ask myself that question.
Peter J. Felice

Follow Ups: