Re: Re: The Dent Eraser

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl Hickman on January 12, 2002 at 22:01:23:

In Reply to: Re: The Dent Eraser posted by John Swensen on January 12, 2002 at 14:10:49:

I agree that you can build your own cheaper. Also you can have mandrels, balls and most other band instrument repair equipment made locally at cheaper rates than purchasing through the companies that supply us (Ferree's, Allied, Strege-Wuttke, Votaw, Kraus, etc.). I - as most full-time technicians - don't have time to fool with designing that tapered mandrel and then going to the machine shop to have it made. So, I buy from the people who have taken the time and spent big $$$ developing tools for repair technicians. I will go to alternate suppliers if they don't have/won't make what I want (although Ferree's is especially good with fabricating special tools). I do not promote copying other's ideas as some technicians do. Therefore, I don't ming paying for the ideas, manufacturing costs, etc.

As far as the electro-magnat - we're working on developing and testing that concept.

Remember that the list price is not the same as the store price. That's why most folks don't pay list for the tubas and euphoniums that they purchase. If it were incredibly cheap and easy to acquire, every band director would have one and we would have less business. Although, rumor has that a large southern.midwestern chain is purchasing a groos to sell to band directors.

Me, I'll gladly pay UMI for the tool. Everyone else should feel free to do what is in their best interest. Musically, Daryl

Follow Ups: