Re: All things being equal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Howard on January 11, 2002 at 20:59:03:

In Reply to: All things being equal posted by Bill W. on January 11, 2002 at 15:05:09:

speaking as a euph player, the least work would probably be a gig in an orchestra, since there's so little repetoire that requires a euphonium. so if I could get full pay, for little or no work, that would probably match most people's idea of an "ideal job."

Realistically the ideal gig (for me) would be with a symphonic band or maybe even a smaller ensemble. There are a lot of really challenging euphonium parts available in both original band literature (someone will flame me for this, I'm sure, but it appears to me that Holst and even Alfred Reed appreciated the value of the euphonium) and also in adaptations of orchestral pieces.

A permanent dixieland gig would be a pretty cool job for a tuba player (or even for us euph players who masquerade as trombone players). Hey! How about that guy that plays sousaphone in Dirty Dozen Brass Band? Would that be fun or what?

I suppose my suggestions strayed from the boundary conditions, but, what, hey, we can dream can't we?

Follow Ups: