Re: Re: Re: Never Too Late!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Jackson on January 11, 2002 at 10:05:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Never Too Late!!! posted by Graham Smith on January 10, 2002 at 18:59:56:

I got my BME & MMA in Music Ed. In most cases you need the Ed degree. Not for private schools, but sometime they don't pay as well, or have the benifits. When I finished my masters degree, I began free lancing on bass and tuba. St. Louis, Boston, New Orleans. got married when I was 30 and took my first teaching job at 32. The most I did was 4 days a week (part time) but I recieved 4/5s of pay and paid days off when they fell on my work days. Also, anything in Florida over half time counts as a full year toward step raises and retirement. I put in eight years. The money came in very handy and gave me a much better feeling about what I could offer at home. Oh, by the way, I started the teaching when we moved to Pensacola because the giging scene was slim. During that time I developed my own entertainment agency, and five years ago the agency and giging begin to pay off and I let the teaching go. Not because I didn't like it, I needed the time to really get my biz going. As far as the tuba playing goes, My best friend plays piano and we're doing 5 or 6 recitals a year and I sub in Pensacola and Mobile Sym. I work with my pianist several times a week and I'm having a blast. My biz supports my "solo work" and has allowed me to buy a HB21 and a 6/4 York. This worked for me, you will have to find what is right for you. Talk to some people around you that are envolved in teaching and see what the market looks like. I still think middle or beginner programs are best because they leave you plenty of playing and family time at night. The elem. music may take even less hours to get the degree, if you're suited for that age group. I loved it. So... consider taking that degree and add some ed. hours to it to get a new degree and get on with making some money. It's never to late to make changes. I don't know anything about you're career, but I hope my story gives you some ideas. GOOD LUCK

Follow Ups: