Re: Advice on Eb or F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John on January 11, 2002 at 08:58:59:

In Reply to: Advice on Eb or F posted by Paul on January 11, 2002 at 03:56:45:

Find either an F or Eb that you really sound good on. At this point you could go either way. I was positive I would always be as F tuba/ CC tuba player and wouldn't even consider Eb.... until I played the Besson 983. It matched the "sound in my head" almost perfectly. I was so impessed with the instrument that I bought one, sold my F, and switched "cold turkey".
This statement is not meant to be an endorsement for the 983; it is intended to show there is a tuba out there for everyone and the pitch that it is built in shouldn't necessarily be a deciding factor.
I would suggest learning a few basic tunes on F and Eb before you go testing. Take a friend whose ears you trust and start honkin'. The good horns are going to respond to your inputs predictably,be in tune, project adequately, and be ergonomically viable for you.
As a general rule(GENERAL!) Eb's are going to be a bit better in the low register, whereas F's get around in the high stuff just a bit easier(just a small amount- it's only a whole step after all)
As far as price goes; I suspect you are going to find yourself in the used or demo horn market. Nothing wrong with that at all. This bbs has tubas for sale constantly.
I hope I this helps, one guy's opinion.

John Cradler

Follow Ups: