Re: Re: Re: Re: writing a tuba concerto.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Winton on January 10, 2002 at 13:27:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: writing a tuba concerto..... posted by David on January 10, 2002 at 12:50:45:

Thank you for clearing that up. All you said has made sense. It does make sense. And as for the VW concerto, I know how people kinda boo it because it's over played. Well, it's because it IS a great piece. Vaughn Williams had so much creativity and talent that even if it wasn't a serious piece for him, it was still well written. I will be playing that for the concerto competition at my school by the way.

Anyways, about my piece, it IS tonal and is going to be very interesting to listen to. I know it's wierd me saying it for myself, but I really aim for a catchy melody so people will be walking out the concert hall whistling the tune. And then just work on the orchestration and voicings, and then you have a good sounding piece. Let's just see if I can pull that off :.)

If you ever have a chance to hear it (when I'm finished) you might say it sounds like a soundtrack or maybe even video game music. Yeah, one of my main influences happen to be video game music. But if you haven't heard the composers of games Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy you will forever have your stereotypes because THEY happen to be one of the top composers in Japan. Anyways, just to keep this short, it's in three movements, the first being very bright and joyous using the lydian mode. The second movement will be an emotional bath with emotions just pouring out with lots of coloring (many inversions of minor 7ths and 9ths). And the last movement is in 6/8 using the D diminished chord and interval to give it a sinisteristic, powerful, attacking finish.

Sorry for making this pretty long. You know how us composers get when we talk about our piece. Anyways, I WILL have this PUBLISHED for sure. All the orchestra parts down as well as a piano reduction. I will be done with it by the time I graduate. Sooooooooooooo, that may be after a year and a half. But if possible, I'll make a piano reduction WITH a piano player to help me so you guys can check it out, play it, and get it at a cheaper price. K, hope this happens and it turns out to be a good piece that all of you will enjoy!

-W

Follow Ups: