Re: Re: Forging my future with 20 lbs of brass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham Smith on January 10, 2002 at 11:03:41:

In Reply to: Re: Forging my future with 20 lbs of brass posted by Steve Dedman on January 08, 2002 at 15:45:45:

Amen, bro!
Piano proficiency almost proved to be my undoing. It mattered not how proficient I was on the tuba (my major instrument) when I walked in and sat down before the faculty to try for passing the piano proficiency test that was required of ALL music students (applied music AND music ed.) I had the prepared pieces, technical exercises, etc., down tight and had no trouble with them. However, I had an awful time sight reading piano music and wound up having to take another semester of piano just to work on that. Awful experience, but a necessary part of my music ed.

It's paid off in the long run, but I'm still a terrible keyboard sight reader and probably never will be good at it. Nonetheless, I have had the fun every year of playing duets with my kids at their piano teacher's annual Christmas party.

On the serious side, Steve's advice about piano lessons helping with music theory is dead-on. Anyone who can get a head start on this BEFORE going to music school in College is way ahead of the game, IMOH.

Follow Ups: