Re: Re: 'Why Brass?'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on January 09, 2002 at 20:50:15:

In Reply to: Re: 'Why Brass?' posted by David on January 09, 2002 at 13:24:38:

As far as using carbon fiber to construct the entire horn, it would likely be constructed in a similar manner to brass instruments. Namely, the branches would be made from a carbon composite material, then fastened together using some sort of adhesive and probably nickel silver rings like on current instrument. I suspect that the valve casings would still be made of brass.

This would yield a much lighter horn. Because of this, the response might be better than brass ones. There might be other advantages. However, brass instruments have evolved over hundreds of years. Who knows how long it would take for those who make instruments (and those who fix them) to achieve the sort of knowledge that they currently have with brass. And good luck finding this to ever become a common thing. Heck, the only reason UMI redesigned the King 2341 was because they could use current tooling for most of the horn. Even if it was possible to monopolize the tuba market by introducing a carbon tuba, I doubt they (or a fairly substantial company like them) would even see the risk or hastle as worthwhile.

That said, I'm still praying for the days when my tuba will simply bounce back to me if I drop it...

Erik

Follow Ups: