Re: Re: Re: Re: Mouthpiece for a Mirafone 190??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 06, 2002 at 22:57:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Mouthpiece for a Mirafone 190?? posted by Lee Stofer on January 06, 2002 at 19:07:27:

Interesting. Do you think such a large cupped mouthpiece would be a good choice with a Miraphone 190? My experience with larger horns is to use a smaller mouthpiece. My experience also is to use bowl shaped cup mouthpieces on rotary valved horns. These, of course, are generalities that I use as a starting point in the search for the right mouthpiece(s). I've only played on one 190, a very long time ago, and I didn't have access to the variety of mouthpieces that I have now. I remember the horn well for its size and sound (and its intonation difficulties) but I was never convinced that the mouthpiece used with it at the time made a particularly good match.

The mouthpiece you describe sounds very much like something that Geib would have come up with. The mouthpieces of his designs that I've tried have been very wide in the cup and rim while being relatively shallow and sometimes smaller in the shank/backbore. Do you find that your mouthpiece give a good amount of control for the 190 or does yours lean more towards letting you be more aggresive with the horn? Have you used this mouthpiece with other horns? Any impressions on what it does/doesn't do well? It sounds like an interesting find. I've never had much luck myself with Geib designs but many players really favor them.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: