Re: inspiration

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Zerkel on January 03, 2002 at 23:04:15:

In Reply to: inspiration posted by ???? on January 02, 2002 at 22:00:19:

I have lots of folks who inspire me, but I guess the question speaks to which teachers have been the most inspirational.

I have three in that category:
1. Dave Bragunier was my first tuba teacher. His approach to teaching was that the music mattered the most. He was incredibly influential in helping me to find my voice and taught me to approach the instrument as though I were singing.

2. Dave Fedderly was a huge influence on me. He is a master teacher who really helped me to understand how everything worked and how to apply what I knew about music to playing the tuba. He made me a better player, helped me attack my weaknesses and identify my strengths. If I can be half as effective a teacher to my students as Dave was with me, I'd be a happy camper.

3. Ed Livingston taught me how to get along in life as a working musician. His insight, generosity and zest for life was truly inspirational.

I could go on for days if I had to talk about all of the musicians who inspire me (most of whom are NOT tuba players!) This is a good thread... always great to acknowledge the mentors!

DZ

Follow Ups: