Re: inspiration

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on January 03, 2002 at 18:07:50:

In Reply to: inspiration posted by ???? on January 02, 2002 at 22:00:19:

Most inspiring teachers is a toughy. James Goebel, formally of Odessa High School, and Eric Pointer, of Richmond High school were probably the most important musical influences on me. Both from Missouri. Since then, the teachings of Arnold Jacobs have been the most influencial on me and most of the teachers I have studied with.

As far as hearing someone play the horn and forever chasing that ideal, I would have to say the following:

David Fedderly for musical expansiveness and sheer artistic willpower. He makes me want to toss my horn in the river every time he plays. An absolute genious.

Daniel Perantoni for the professional rock solid approach to getting the job done and coming up with the goods always. No matter what piece of music I brought into my lessons, whether the John Williams, an obscure Gershwin orchestral excerpt, a band excerpt, anything, he could play it perfectly and expected the same. I could pull out a solo he had not played in years and he was nails on it. If you made a mistake, he assumed that you meant to do it that way and questioned your musical choice. A true taskmaster and excellent ear for what is best. I owe him so much for giving me a chance as a student even though I was pretty rough at the first few lessons he allowed me. Without him, I would not be getting paid to play.

Michael Sanders in an orchestral context. I am yet to witness anything as magical as that night in Powell Hall. Get a lesson with him and buy a ticket to that night's symphony performance. You will be forever alterred.

When at Indiana University, hearing the other students practice and better understanding the connection between my own mediocrity and the excellence of Mr. P. His students were an inspiration at that time.

Now, I get a lot from hearing my colleagues play on a daily basis in The US Army Band. Whether it be the natural funky musicianship of Jon Voth, the aggressive work ethic of Michael Forbes, Tom Bratten's utter attention to detail, David Brown's seeming mastery of orchestral excerpts, Mike Eberly's buttery smooth musical lines, or any of the other 5-10 musicians of all types of instruments and voices who try their best. I still hear things that make me pause on occasion.

We never live and work and study in perfect situations, but we can always find things to make us smile and reflect and dream. Try your very best always.

sean

Follow Ups: