BBb Meinl Weston model 18

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam Gnagey on January 01, 2002 at 22:41:32:

I made a trip to the Brasswind yesterday to show off my latest creation to Mike Russo and check out what he had in inventory in the brass(tuba)room. He was either swamped with business or not in.
There is a huge selection of MW 2165s. So, if you are looking for a good buy and great selection on 6/4 CCs, that's your place.
I played through most of the 50+ tubas and a Rudy CC Cimbasso that were there. To my tastes they all fell nicely into a bell-shaped curve. The one new horn that caught my attention was the Meinl Weston model 18. It's a small 4/4 sized BBb horn that has a compact design that reminds me of the Cerveny Piggy. The example that was there had a very pleasing clear focused sound that might make it a good solo and quintet instrument. I also think it would have plenty of projection and depth for larger ensembles. I couldn't find out about prices and don't think they have it listed on their web site. It is listed on the Meinl Weston site if you'd like more particulars. Anyone else had any experience with or thoughts on this beast?

Follow Ups: