Re: Re: Tax Questions on new horns

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob again on January 31, 2001 at 09:53:48:

In Reply to: Re: Tax Questions on new horns posted by pdonoh on January 31, 2001 at 09:31:32:

If you are pursuing a career in music as a performer and/or teacher, then I would certainly think that you are using your tuba in your business. I can't think of any way you could use your tuba that would not be somehow tied to your business, (unless maybe your using it as a lamp stand). Many musicians routinely write off all things that have anything to do with music such as: CD's, tuxedos, sheet music, metronomes, tuners, mouthpieces, stereo equipment, instrument repairs and maintenance, instrument insurance, instrument accessories, union dues, office supplies, computers and computer accessories, travel mileage to gigs and/or lessons, fees paid to teachers for lessons, concert tickets, movie tickets (given that many people make a living playing music for movies, some people feel that as part of their business they need to be up on the latest movie music), and anything else that has to do with music. Again, I would go to an accountant because it all is very complicated. These write offs are taken against your self-employment income, not your W-2 income.

Follow Ups: