Re: Re: Metallurgy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BassBone on January 30, 2001 at 20:32:18:

In Reply to: Re: Metallurgy posted by Rick Denney on January 30, 2001 at 18:40:37:

I beg to differ on your comments about metallurgy not making a difference on sound. I'm mainly a bass trombone player who also plays an occasional euphonium. Even played tuba (many moons ago).

I have played many bass trombones over the years, and I have to say that the copper content of the brass can make a huge difference. Even on the same instrument.

Higher copper content bells generally are very dark in the soft volumes but become more brilliant in the louder volumes. Yellow brass bells are more consistent in timbre throuthout all of the registers and dynamics.

Yellow brass is about 70% copper, and 30% zinc
Rose brass is about 80% copper, and 20% zinc
Red brass is about 90% copper, and 10% zinc

Also the gauge of the metal effects the overall sound. Jazz players use lighter gauge bells in general. Where as orchestral players use heavier gauge bells. The heavy bell is not as flexible in timbre, but provides a very stable sound foundation.

No one makes the perfect horn for all situations. You just have to blend in with your section, and the rest of the orchestra-band.

Bass "not correcting you Rick, just a different slant" Bone

Follow Ups: