Re: hearing/seeing a great player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gray Bach on January 30, 2001 at 09:46:08:

In Reply to: hearing/seeing a great player posted by Mark F. on January 29, 2001 at 01:33:59:

My first professional tuba event was the ITEC '95 at Northwestern University. I have three things from there that changed my perspective on the tuba and one from where i go to school.

1) Arnold Jacobs Masterclass and then meeting Mr. Jacobs. I was not even taking lessons then, and Mr. Jacobs' class was the most profound thing I had ever encountered. Then, when I met him, he was the classiest person, very polite and nice, and there was just an aura of greatness. I was just a 17 year old kid and he treated me like he'd known me his whole life.

2) Roger Bobo recital. Also my first pro tuba recital to hear, and that's probabl;y the best to hear, especially the first time.

3) But as great as these two were, I was kind of thinking that they were legends, and such playing was unattainable by someone, especially my age. Then I heard 18 year old Roland Szentpali, destined to be the next tuba star, and he was a nice, down-to-earth teenager like anyone else, except he could play the living hell out of the tuba. We talked about the differences in our cultures, etc. Hardd to believe he had gotten even better when he played at the Army show this weekend. PERFECT.

4) And of course, there's Professor R. Winston Morris. He has been my teacher for the duration of college, and his knowledge of the tuba, and his ability to make even the worst player (Me as a freshman) sound halfway decent, plus the fact that he treats all his students as family, it's like being in tuba heaven, 24-7, and like a 24 hour a day masterclass.

Gray Bach

Follow Ups: