Re: Re: Re: Re: Compensating Systems on Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Masi on January 29, 2001 at 17:13:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Compensating Systems on Tubas posted by Kristian on January 29, 2001 at 11:53:42:

In theory, that's true.

Of course, in theory, you could drive your car to work everyday in reverse; I think there are sound practical reasons why you don't, even though it'd get you there just fine.

Mostly, I think that manipulating a tuning trigger that much would get to be cumbersome. I just can't imagine it, especially in faster passages, though you could argue that if the passage is fast enough, ten or fifteen cents here and there won't matter.

It's an interesting idea, though, because you certainly could make a horn that's quite a bit cheaper and certainly lighter and still be able to compensate the 4th-valve fingerings. I'm surprised no one's done it, though it's probably because everyone concentrates their serious euph magic on the compensating market.

But heck, with my Prestige, I get both, so I can play 4th-valve notes in tune while using the tuning trigger as a whammy bar for that oh-so-cool vibrato! :-)

-dan

Follow Ups: