Re: And I'm not just venting!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pete Krill on January 26, 2001 at 14:45:06:

In Reply to: And I'm not just venting!!! posted by Benjamin Schardt on January 26, 2001 at 12:29:08:

I've played a MW 2145 for over 2 years and have found that it requires minimal slide adjustments while playing. I have the 1st valve slide pulled out about 3/4", and have to push it in all the way only on the "d" in the middle of the staff. The second valve on my horn is in tune with the slide all the way in. I tune the third valve slide so the two and three combination is in tune (slide out about 1/2"), and I extend the upper and lower slides on the fourth valve a total of 2 1/2" so that the fourth valve can be used as an alternate fingering for the "D" and "G" below the staff. The fifth valve slide is all the way in. With this setup, I find that the pedal "DD" is best fingered 1,3,4 & 5. The "a" on the top line of the staff works best using the 3rd valve rather than 1 & 2.
"Db" and "Gb" below the staff are in tune using 2,3 & 5.

I previously used a rotary valve tuba with vented valves, and find that with the MW 2145 it is no more difficult to make fine adjustments with the first valve slide as I play.

Follow Ups: