Re: Re: Re: When We Were Kings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis A. on January 23, 2001 at 17:52:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: When We Were Kings posted by Jason T on January 23, 2001 at 17:10:21:

OK, I just wanted to make sure we were all talking about the same work.

When We Were Giants was written for me by Jonathan Green(as previously stated) for a CD project I did with Kelly O'Bryant (Carolina Morning). I approached Jonathan with the idea of writing a sonata-type work, though the number of movements was optional. He came up with WWWG--a standard 3 mvt. sonata. The title refers to the tuba's past--in orchestras, etc. when we were typically used to depict "giants" i.e. dragons, hell, etc. Big cumbersome stuff--his idea was to use that title as ironic...
It's actually published through Bernel Music (www.bernelmusic.com) It is being used this year in the tape round and first live round of the ITEC competitions--I should also note, that even though I am chair of the competitions, it was upon the host's suggesion that we used the piece, not mine.

Currently Jonathan is writing a concerto for me, which will have separate, somewhat different versions of the accompaniment for band, orch, and piano.

Follow Ups: