Re: Tuba-to-euph.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on January 22, 2001 at 02:04:27:

In Reply to: Tuba-to-euph. posted by Floyd on January 22, 2001 at 00:30:24:

Once, when playing "Pictures," my symphony's former (yea...) Music Director said that he envisioned "a somewhat smaller ox" and requested a euphonium for the solo and my Alex for the remainder of the work. (What this was supposed to mean regarding my F has remained a mystery to me...differing tastes, I suppose.)

Since I almost NEVER have call to use a eupuonium in my gig (our bass-boner is a great eupher as well), I had to come up with a good horn and mouthpiece literally overnight! I borrowed a good euph and went to the music store where I have the best relations, and begged to play-test every piece they had in stock. After two hours with a tuner and 20 or so mouthpieces, I found that the Bach 5G was the easiest to control, but the Schilke 60 had the best sound. The whole DW line failed me, personally, as did the Schilke 59.

The only thing I found to work at the required dynamic level (MUCH louder than one would think for the indicated dynamic) was a Bach 5G Megatone. I have used weighted mouthpieces some in the past, but only saw limited changes. However, this 5G-to-5GMT comparison came down quite a bit in favor of the MT. I do not really know why. But it cost about $100 at the time.

If you are really short on cash, see if the repair shop in your "store of choice" might have an older, regular 5G on a bench or in a "damaged" box.

This store's shop used to save damaged mouthpieces from returned rentals for replating. This was back in the day when this was cheaper for the store than to supply a new piece with a used horn. These days, the old pieces go into these same boxes out of habit, and number about 200 to 250! They all have varying amounts of plating damage to the rims. But this should be nothing to worry about if you only intend to use it as an additional tool, and not your main mouthpiece...unless, that is, you are unusually reactive to brass...

A mouthpiece such as one of these MIGHT be available for cheap/free. The problem is the fact that most returned rental trombones still have the original mouthpiece, which is usually a small shank 6 1/2 AL. There is not a real market for rental euphoniums, so this will probably come to a dead-end for you. I am just trying to give you ideas.

Good luck with the problem. Things like this cost money; sorry.

BTW- Our new Music Director loved my F tuba on "Pictures" last season...go figure.

Wade "the 5G MT worked for me" Rackley

Follow Ups: