Re: VW

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 20, 2001 at 00:39:50:

In Reply to: VW posted by SD on January 20, 2001 at 00:16:24:

I like the second movement, too, and I think everyone finds it easier to be lyrical with that music. The challenge to the second movement is the range. It's parked up in the high register and just stays there.

Of course, nobody knows what the civic orchestra dudes in your town will be looking for. But assuming you have a choice, my preference would be to walk in with music that you know you can play cold, with so much confidence that the music just spills out in all directions. That has to make a better impression than over-reaching technically and making mistakes, or, just as bad, missing the chance to make good music by not being confident. When I'm struggling technically, it's painfully obvious to everyone who's listening. Play to your strengths. If you are a sensitive musician with technical limitations, show off your music. If you are can play the Clarinet Polka on tuba at 180 beats a minute, but feel nothing when you play, then show off your technique. I had no hope in the second category, so I focused on the first as best I could.

I once played "Mary Had A Little Lamb" for a community symphony audition, but that's another story. (I did make it into the group.)

Rick "or was it Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star?" Denney

Follow Ups: