Re: Re: Reveultas' Inspiration

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Fritz on January 19, 2001 at 18:14:56:

In Reply to: Re: Reveultas' Inspiration posted by Norm Pearson on January 19, 2001 at 10:34:53:

I am principal tubist of the Orquesta Sinfónica de Xalapa in Xalapa, Mexíco and have lived in Mexíco for over 8 years and what Norm Pearson says is correct. There is a very serious band tradition here in Mexico as well as the popular Norteña music which still uses sousaphones in many occasions. Some of these guys can´t read music but have SERIOUS technic. There is a recording of the Orquesta Sinfónica Nacional de Mexíco of Revueltas´ music made in the 1950s with the tubist who played most of the premieres of Revueltas´ major works. This gentleman died several years ago at a very old age and I am not sure of his name though I think he was a pretty good tuba player in his day. I believe that he too had a certain amount of influence on Revueltas´. It is also worth noting that the famous Sensamayá was originally written for chamber orchestra without tuba. The version with the big tuba solo is an adaption from the original. There are also many short chamber works that also have nice tuba parts. Just my thoughts.......

Follow Ups: