loans for instrument purchases...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by broke-tubist on January 19, 2001 at 16:35:17:

I was hoping that some fellow BBSers might have some past experiences that could help me out. I'm a mildly-talented tubist about half-way through University. I've had a few notable teachers, and have benifited greatly from them. I feel that at this point, the biggest thing holding me back is my equipment. I've gone through several CC tubas, all of them "adequate", but none of them one that you'd play in a professional Orchestra, or that you'd consider your "horn-for-life". Right now I own a bottom-of-the-line CC horn that's adequate for some band playing, a few "just-for-fun" chamber ensembles, along with some solo stuff... but not much else. I make the best of it, and can make it sound pretty nice, but I'm tired of always "working for my horn", and I feel that it's about time I get a horn that works for me. I'm not talking about dishing out $15,000 for a shiny York replica, I'd even be happy with a Miraphone 188, or several other horns in that price range.

It's here, though, that money becomes an issue. I make enough right now to pay my expenses, and have a little bit left over. Saving for my "dream horn"(in the low $6,000 price range), even if I could get half of it on credit, would take me a couple of years. Student loans are already soaked up in my tuition, and bank loans require collateral that I just don't have. From my perspective right now(and I've carefully looked over every option that I've found), I won't be able to finally get that "dream horn" until well after I've finished my time in University.

It's this that saddens me the most. On the horn I have now(probably the lowest end CC you can find.... but at least it's not an Amati!), I can't realistically hope to win the concerto competition, no matter how much work I put into it. I cannot realistically hope to sub for a few sessions with the local orchestra, even if I'm on "the list". I teach students who have horns far nicer than mine, that belong to their high school, no less.. I can't realistically expect them to take my advice on purchasing a horn while I'm playing a less-than-$2k "Bargain" horn. And I can't realistically go searching for paying gigs right out of college, with a cheap tin-tuba as my only axe.

Unfortunately, I don't have the supportive, well-off family that'd happily loan me the money to get the horn that would suit me. Nor do I have the skills nor the means to take a horn with "potential" off of ebay, and fix it up to my standards. I've got a potential $2,000 line of credit on my paid-off 10 year old car, which would require me to get two-way insurance, doubling my monthly insurance payment. I could try, as I foolishly did several times in the past, to trade my horn for something that seems like a better idea, only to end up with something that, in the long run, makes me have to work twice as much.

Anyways, I know I'm not alone, and that my dilemma is something that has been faced by many of you in the past, and is likely being faced by many of you right now. I'm not looking for a miracle $10,000 loan from the sky, but just for some input on how some of you dealt with these kinds of circumstances in the past. Perhaps if there are banks/companies that specialize in loans for musicians, or even instrument retailers who offer some sort of financing themselves, or arrange the financing through some third party. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Anthony

Follow Ups: