Re: What is the best slide grease?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 18, 2001 at 18:01:46:

In Reply to: What is the best slide grease? posted by Jon Brady on January 18, 2001 at 17:34:17:

It depends on what you want. If you want the slide to stay unstuck forever, but not be particularly moveable, then that red Selmer stuff is not bad, and anhydrous lanolin is even better.

But if you want to move the slide, then it depends on how smooth the machinery. If the slide is really fast with a perfect fit, then something as light as BiNaK might be fine. But my slides aren't that good, and I need something with a bit more viscosity. On the York, I use a high-grade lithium grease made for racing bicycles (Campagnolo). I just happen to have a kilo tub of it (which is a lifetime supply) anyway. I'd suspect any high-quality light bicycle grease would do just as well. A company called Phil Wood makes a green, waterproof grease for bicycles that will work, but it isn't as clean.

I've also used Trombotine on the faster slide on my Miraphone, sometimes cut slightly with clock oil (which doesn't dry easily and tends not to run).

I bought some really thick stuff that is white and have no use for it. I don't recall the brand, but it's supposed to be wonderful. It's so thick that I can hardly spread it, and I'm scared I'm going to pull the joints of the tuning crook apart with that stuff on there. Removing it to use something better was a royal pain, too. "UHG" comes to mind as at least part of the name. Maybe it's a good replacement for solder.

Rick "who has used Vaseline in a pinch" Denney

Follow Ups: