Re: Re: Re: YFB-621 vs. YEB-321/381?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Christopher on January 18, 2001 at 12:11:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: YFB-621 vs. YEB-321/381? posted by Still puzzled in Kokomo on January 18, 2001 at 10:48:26:

See, now we're getting into the fundamental silliness of the X/4 description. It is essentially meaningless, with no actual standards that distinguish between the sizes of horns (we like this -- it allows manufacturers great freedom in designing horns with whatever strengths they want them to have, and worry about how many quarters of a tuba it is later). My Rudy Meinl 3/4 CC is bigger than many 4/4 CCs I have tried.

Having played both the YFB 621 and the YEB321, I think the Eb is a bigger sounding horn, for whatever reasons, and bigger than, say, the Boosey 983. I don't particularly care why, physically. But if I had to choose between them, I'd use the 321 for a band or brass quintet, and the 621 for solo work and lighter brass quintet stuff.

As I recall hearing it, Fletch for one was pretty convinced that the LENGTH of the horn made a profound difference in how it played, i.e. an Eb will have a bigger sound and somewhat less flexibility than an otherwise identical F.

And again, until I decide to go into the repair or manufacturing business, I don't particularly care about bore size or bell diameter or whatever. To take Duke out of context, if it sounds good, it is good.

Follow Ups: