Re: Re: Re: Responsive small BBb Tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 17, 2001 at 10:22:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Responsive small BBb Tuba? posted by SZY on January 17, 2001 at 03:12:39:

The Yamaha and the Weril will. I have a Yamaha 621 F--with a similar sound on similar notes to the BBb--and it provides a good contrast to other instruments in a tuba quartet. When I played in the TubaMeisters, we had a Miraphone Baryton (straight-bell large-bore rotary euphonium), a Miraphone Euphonium (English-style 3+1 compensating), my Yamaha 621, and a Miraphone 186-5U CC. Each instrument had a distinct sound. There was no problem with blend--the key to good blend is similar projection characteristics, and we never seemed to have problems with that, though we were careful how we pointed our horns when on stage.

I have used the 621 for all sorts of small ensembles, including brass quintet. My playing partners always preferred the more focused and less enveloping sound of the smaller horn in those playing situations.

You might also look into an old Conn. The Conn numbers always baffle me, but the 3,4, or 5J horns are quite small and easy to play in BBb. I sat next to a fellow who was playing a 5J CC at TubaChristmas, and he had a nice, warm, friendly sound on that horn.

Rick "the Yamaha bore isn't all that small compared to similar choices" Denney

Follow Ups: