Re: Re: Chicago York

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on January 14, 2001 at 13:35:32:

In Reply to: Re: Chicago York posted by Henry on January 13, 2001 at 21:25:49:

I once attend a CSO performance, I believe the CSO opener for 1965/66. Berlioz Damnation of Faust-Complete, conducted by Jean Martinon. Mr. Jacobs played a Mirafone 184 CC. While he certainly didn't sound "bad" there was nothing to suggest that it was even him playing. None of the arch phrasing, punchy articulations, or bottom tuned sounds that characterized his playing on other CCs than the York, or various Fs he had used. He told me later he was not pleased, but was trying the little Mira to impress Martinon. He assumed that with a background of conducting French orchestras Martinon would like smaller instruments, and he wanted to forestall the kind of intervention he had experienced under Reiner.

As it turned, Martinon called Mr. Jacobs aside one day and said, "When I worked here as a guest conductor, you used to play a maginificent big tuba. So what's up with these small tubas here?" Jacobs explained his rationale, and Martinon responded, "That's amusing. I never really appreciated the tuba that much until I came to Chicago. Please, play your big tuba."

Follow Ups: