Best way to store a horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubatheorist on January 14, 2001 at 11:35:43:

Hi everyone, I am looking for some info. I recently bought a new horn, and am concerned as to the best way to store it (overnight) so as to not cause any damage. I don't have a hard case yet, and I have a gig bag. I am faced with two alternatives: number one, store this tuba in a "tuba locker", and take my other tuba home with me every night so it has enough room to exist in that tiny realm, or number two, take this new horn home with me every night, so I don't have to try to shove it in a tiny cubicle area with another tuba (or possibly two).
In any case, whichever route I decide to go on there, how do you all store your instruments when not in use? It seems a hard case would be logical, given the instrument can be protected while stored in a horizontal position. With this "tuba locker", my only choices are on the bell, or sitting on the bow upright in the gig bag. I doubt that even a hard case would fit in the locker. I would take the horn home every night, but then I am concerned about the wear and tear I will get carrying it a mile to and from my vehicle every day. (The same would apply to my other tuba, but it is smaller and lighter and is a year old rather than a day old!)
Thanks so much for any advice!!!

Follow Ups: