side loading bags (revisited)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ian Easton on January 13, 2001 at 08:16:25:

I've just read the thread on side loading bags (scroll down). Rick's comments on the Altieri bag not allowing you to load the horn with it on it's bell have effectively ruled out Altieri as an option for me.

I have a rather nasty (ie cheap) side loading bag for my Willson, and find lying the tuba down to pack/unpack it annoying, esp in crowded practice rooms/on small stages. Also, years of grabbing the tuba by the first valve slide (the tuba balances here) have bent the slide so it's causing the first valve to stick (I've had to add a brace, as per advice gained on this BBS). So I was hoping for a top loader like the one that came with my PT6. I can pull this horn out by holding the bell edges and put it back in the case with it standing on it's bell (not strictly the best for the horn, I know!).

My questions are, how do others remove their horns from side loading bags; is this posible with a RB bag; and are there any (decent) top loding bags that can allow the horn to be loaded/unloaded vertically?

Cheers,

Ian

Follow Ups: