Re: Re: It occurs to me

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by longtime lurker on January 12, 2001 at 15:57:18:

In Reply to: Re: It occurs to me posted by SENTAMENTAL OLD BASTARD on January 12, 2001 at 14:38:57:

I'd imagine this thread is going to be killed once Sean gets around to it, but I would like to offer my opinion.

To a certain extent, it is true that everyone of us that would buy a York does so because it might "retain a part of US tuba manufacturing that is gone forever". However, a three valve BBb or Eb York is not what many of us want. We want a five valve horn, often in CC or F, that is capable of meeting our needs on a daily basis. We are not all after horns that are effectively museum pieces or that have restricted practical applications.

It is a good thing that each "chopped" York reduces the number of genuine, stock Yorks by one because it necessarily makes those remaining more valuable so long as there are people who have a preference, on which they will act, for stock Yorks.

I cannot offer my opinion on how they sound after modification, that is a matter of personal preference. For example, the horn that Joe S. mentions in an earlier post did not play in tune. So he uses the bell on a different horn. Voila!, one good horn at the expense of two lesser horns. That is a good deal to me, because what I am after is a good horn.

my 2¢, not that anyone cares.
/ll

Follow Ups: