Tubist learning bass bone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MG on January 11, 2001 at 22:46:49:

Lately, I've been thinking about attempting to learn bass trombone. One reason
is that most every jazz instructor I've encountered has inquired as to whether
I could play it (not so much because they favor it over tuba, but because when I
tell them I'm a performance major they worry that I may not be able to make a living
playing only tuba; we can save that debate for another thread). Playing bass bone could also allow me to get a bigger piece of the jazz pie at school (I got to play a grand total of one concert with the jazz ensemble last semester). However, I'm worried about possible
negative effects to my tuba playing. I realize that the extra practice would be in addition to (rather than instead of) my normal amount on tuba, but can this hurt your
embouchure? I played euph from sixth through tenth grade and had great range before I switched to tuba for good, but I did have occasional problems with pain in my upper lip
(from over-practicing) a couple of years ago. I'm interested in some opinions on my
situation. Before you hit that "POST RESPONSE" box, I should mention three more things:
•I do know basic trombone slide technique
•This is not a disguised cry for help from a stressed-out performance major; I love what I'm doing right now, and I don't want to do anything that might diminish my success
•Yes, I intend to discuss this with my teacher.

If anyone wants add anything, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Follow Ups: