Re: College Student looking for a Horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney '80 on January 09, 2001 at 15:38:20:

In Reply to: College Student looking for a Horn!! posted by David on January 09, 2001 at 13:57:32:

The A&M Symphonic Band is an audition group that takes all comers. It's not easy to get into, but they at least used to have tubas they could loan to players. I played a Besson something-or-other in that group many years ago, and I'd bet that same horn is still there. They won't let you take the horn home, but if you live on campus you'll get too much abuse for that anyway. But they will let you come in when the Band Building is open and play the horn in a practice room.

Beware, though: When I played in the group (I only made it in one year), I was fourth chair of four, and the other three players were ex-all-staters. For a university with no music school, that group is very competitive.

It will probably not be until next fall, though, before you could audition for the coming year. But they might be willing to let you practice on one of their horns in the Band Building in anticipation of that time.

But College Station and Bryan have doubled in size since I was there (as had A&M's enrollment), and there may be a community band outside the university. But I'd bet not.

At least you live within driving distance of Dallas, where you can consult with Charlie Krause at Brook Mays Music and get good advice. If you are looking for a horn, it's well worth your six hours of driving. I expect Charlie will chime in here and give you a way to contact him.

Otherwise, don't ignore the used tuba pages at Dillon's Music. They list several BBb tubas in the $2000-2500 range that would probably do you fine.

Rick "old Ag" Denney

Follow Ups: