Re: recordings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aubrey Foard on January 07, 2001 at 23:02:10:

In Reply to: recordings posted by arik on January 04, 2001 at 15:49:22:

A few of my select favorites:

Berlioz : Symphony Fantastique - Barenboim/Chicago Symphony 1996. An excellent sound and very strong sections make this recording a must. Barenboim also succeeds in making the piece extremely musical and enjoyable.

Prokofiev : 5th Symphony - Tillson Thomas/London Symphony 1991(?). Extremely strong string section, well balanced ensemble, wonderful conducting and ideas.

Strauss : Also Sprach Zarathustra - Vladimir Ashkenazy/Cleveland Orchestra 1987. Beautiful brass playing, excellent blend, big, heavy sound without being thuddy. Alan Baer played second tuba with Ron Bishop on first.

Shostakovich : 7th Symphony - Masur/New York Philharmonic 2000 Live. Though not one of Shostakovich's most famous or well known symphonies, Masur presents an excellent interpretation of Shostakovich's dedication to Leningrad (St. Petersburg) with harsh and heavy brass playing to boot.

Bruckner : 7th Symphony - Barenboim/Berlin Philharmonic. A must have for any Bruckner fan, Barenboim once again proves himself a master of interpretation as well as expression.

Mussorgsky/Ravel : Pictures at an Exhibition - Maazel/Cleveland Orchestra 1990(?). Owning three recordings of "Pictures", I still find that this is my favorite. The ideas are presented extremely musically and the trumpet and saxophone soloists completely outdo themselves. Maazel's musical ideas are brought forth to the maximum in "Great Gate", making this interpretation the best I've ever heard. (Also look for a very decent video recording of Solti with CSO on their 1990 Japan tour)

Follow Ups: