Re: Don't Nine Suite

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Oberheu on January 07, 2001 at 09:50:03:

In Reply to: Don't Nine Suite posted by Tim Murphy on January 06, 2001 at 22:25:02:

Hi Tim!

Uhh, that's actually the Virginia TECH Tuba Quartet (BIG difference) who played the Don't Nine Suite. I was one of the four players on that recording.

The piece was arranged by a friend of mine named Brian Nozny, who was a composition major at Virginia Tech the same time I was there (he's now doing grad school at Miami). We were joking around at rehearsal one night about coming up with a suite of music from old Nintendo games and brought it up to Brian. He loved the idea and gave us the piece in less than a week.

Don't Nine (which I'm sure you've figured out already) is an anagram for Nintendo. The different sections came from Super Mario Bros. (Main Tune, underground theme, invincible star music), Legend of Zelda (main tune, battle scene, dead Link, continue?) and Metroid. We threw in a few jokes and some theatrical stuff and voila, it's done! The arrangement is great (pretty challenging in spots, also) and a lot of fun to play.

Brian's a fantastic composer and really good guy. If you're interested in getting a copy, drop me an e-mail and I can put you in touch with him.

Cheers!

Steve Oberheu

Follow Ups: