Alexander CC tuba for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex C on January 07, 2001 at 01:02:54:

Sad to say but my Alexander CC tuba is for sale. I'm picking up my BAT next week and I just can't justify three different CC tubas. I hate to sell a friend but one of them has to go.

It is a model 163, four rotary valves with a raw brass finish for the clear and pure Alexander sound. It is 40.5 inches tall with a 16 1/2 inch bell and a bore size of .812". The best I can determine is that it was manufactured in the early 70's. I had the horn de-dented, cleaned up and gone through top to bottom a couple of years ago.

The valves are in top working condition, smooth and quiet, with ball-and-socket linkage. Compression in all valves is great.

The receiver fits most modern mouthpieces sold in this country (it?s the Standard German receiver). A top-loading black Tuxedo bag in great condition, goes with the horn.

Playing characteristics: the sound is vintage with all the tone and color that is Alexander and its mystique. If you are looking for that sound, there's just no other way to get it. If you don't know it then just ask anyone who owns one or has played one.

The quality of sound is absolutely even and consistent from the pedal range to anywhere above the staff your ability can take you. The low register is one of the best I have ever played in an Alexander and has the ability to put pop and just some real nads in the low register if you need it. Response is quick and very easy in all ranges and dynamic levels. No compromises in these categories.

This tuba has superior intonation for a CC Alexander. I had an adjusting rod attached to the main tuning slide to make the minor, but predictable CC intonation problems easy to handle. This also makes it so there should be no intonation issues at any playing level.

I have used this horn with orchestras and in performances and recordings with the Dallas Wind Symphony. It is an outstanding tuba and needs to find a home where one appreciates its abilities and its special Alexander qualities.

Through usage it has picked up some very minor dents. I used a Flitch Cloth to polish it a couple of weeks ago, so that it is very presentable (it's the German thing to do).

The price is $6000 firm. If you are seriously interested and ready to buy a tuba that will make you want to practice and play your tuba every day and grow to love it after you have, contact me by email only. I won't respond to posts.

Follow Ups: